To the west of Castle Hill was the Lord's water mill. The river originally ran along the line of Newcastle Avenue. In 1792 William Toplis and Company built two textile mills and the company built Norfolk Street as mill workers' houses. These were constructed for multiple use by several families in each house.
The company went bankrupt 3 years later and the mills were used for grinding corn or cutting timber. The water mill became known as Beard's Mill which was demolished in 1985.
For further information please go to Worksop History, Worksop Industry, The Public Health Inquiry