For further information please go to Worksop History, Worksop Industry, The Public Health Inquiry, Harrison's Survey of 1636.
Liquorice was grown in the area of Slack Walk. In Elizabethan times it was noted that 'Worksesoppe excelleth all others within the Realme for the store of Licoras that growth therein'. Liquorice means 'Sweet root' in Greek and is 50 times sweeter than sucrose. It was used as to sweeten food but the Industry died out around 1750 when sugar cane from abroad became plentiful. Mr Brompton was one of the last to grow liquorice commercially. He became famous for his cultivation of Brompton Stocks.
In medieval times Lead Hill lay within the castle grounds. It was so called because pack horses from Derbyshire mines deposited their lead here, to return with malt. From Worksop, the lead would be taken to the Trent for transport by boat to London. Lead Hill was originally called Tenter Green, an area where locally woven cloth was stretched out on tenterhooks to dry. There were medieval cobbled alleyways running to the Market Place and Bridge Street. The poorer people of the town lived in tenements in these yards.
John Wesley visited here in 1780 'in a lamentable place of dirt and dust'. The building on the corner was used as an Independent Methodist meeting house in the 1840s.