A Moot Hall originally stood in the Market Place, across from the Old Ship Inn. It had market stalls on the ground floor and the Leet Court was held upstairs. The Old Ship Inn is probably an Elizabethan building, although it was not always an Inn. The fish and chip shop on the corner of Park Street is also an early timber framed building. A number of similar houses in this area were cleared when the market place was enlarged at the end of the 19th century.
The Town Hall stands on the corner of Potter Street. It was built 1851 as a Corn Exchange. The building was designed by Charles Gilbert of Nottingham in the Venetian style. In 1882 it was purchased by the Local Board of Health and it became known as the Town Hall in 1894. When Bassetlaw District Council was created in 1975, Queen's Buildings were added along Potter Street, being opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1981.