For further information please go to Worksop History, Worksop Industry
Victoria Square was laid out in 1882 . Worksop and Retford Brewery Offices were situated here, and are now a public house. Victoria Square was originally called Common End. The turnpike roads from Sheffield and Doncaster were built in 1760 and met at this point.
On the left, Dock road runs beside the canal and was once a busy industrial area with a number of malt kilns, breweries, warehouses and The Carlton Cycle factory.
Eastgate, running to the right, was also an industrial area, and the original Smith's Flour Mill, built in 1906, is still visible next to the present mill buildings. There were a number of malt kilns located here.